1 a guardian or defender against theft or illegal practices or waste; "she is the global watchdog for human rights abuses"
2 a dog trained to guard property [syn: guard dog]
- To perform a function analogous to a watchdog.
- To guard and warn.
A watchdog is a dog who provides protection by watching for or guarding against intruders. * Watchdog timer, a device in computer systems
- Event Log Watchdog, a freeware software program
- Watchdog Event Log, created by Windows operating systems using the .WDL extension
- Non-Maskable Interrupt Watchdog, mechanism used to detect systems lockups* An informal name given to consumer protection organizations or campaigners. See: List of consumer organizations
- Watchdog (TV series)
- Watchdog journalism, any media (including blogs) providing consumer watchdog activities
- Transit watchdog* Nuclear watchdog, synonymous with the International Atomic Energy Agency
- Government agencies that police other agencies, such as the Government Accountability Office investigations of the Department of Defense
- Citizens' groups that monitor and report on government, corporate, and other abuses, such as Human Rights Watch
watchdog in French: Chien de garde (homonymie)